Table of Contents
Dairy-free living doesn’t mean sacrificing your favorite comfort foods. This Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta is a delightful twist on the classic Italian dish, offering a rich and luscious creamy tomato sauce without any dairy products. It’s a perfect example of how plant-based cuisine can be both delicious and satisfying, and it’s suitable for vegans and those with lactose intolerance.
Ingredients( how to make a dairy-free recipe):
- 8 ounces of your favorite pasta (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any dairy-free milk of your choice)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the Pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the Onions and Garlic: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Add the Tomatoes: Pour in the diced tomatoes, including their juices. Stir well and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Blend the Sauce: Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Be cautious when blending hot ingredients, and allow the mixture to cool slightly if needed.
- Return to Skillet: Return the blended tomato sauce to the skillet.
- Add Dairy-Free Milk: Stir in the unsweetened almond milk (or your choice of dairy-free milk) and tomato paste. Mix until the sauce is well combined and creamy.
- Season the Sauce: Add the red pepper flakes, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Combine with Pasta: Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss it with the creamy tomato sauce until the pasta is well coated.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh basil leaves and, if desired, vegan Parmesan cheese.
This Vegan Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta is a delectable reminder that dairy-free recipes can be as indulgent and satisfying as their dairy-laden counterparts. The creamy tomato sauce, enriched with dairy-free almond milk, is a testament to the creative and delicious possibilities of plant-based cuisine. Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle or simply want a dairy-free alternative, this dish promises a flavorful and comforting dining experience.
Enjoy your dairy-free culinary adventure, and savor each creamy bite of this Italian classic made vegan.
1. Can I use a different type of dairy-free milk in this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use oat milk, soy milk, or any other dairy-free milk that suits your taste and dietary preferences.
2. Is this recipe suitable for gluten-free diets?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta. Ensure that all other ingredients, including the tomato paste, are also gluten-free.
3. Can I make the sauce in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a day or two. Reheat it and combine it with freshly cooked pasta when you’re ready to serve.
4. How spicy is this dish with the red pepper flakes?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted to your preference. You can increase or decrease the amount of red pepper flakes to make it milder or spicier.
5. Can I freeze leftovers of this dish?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers for later. Ensure the pasta is properly stored in an airtight container, and when reheating, you may need to add a little more dairy-free milk to restore the creamy consistency.